Parley P. Pratt in Nauvoo


By Rick J. Fish

Prepared under the direction of Robert Grow,

President of the Jared Pratt Family Association

April 1993


Mid Jan., The “Emerald” arrived in New Orleans with Parley and his family among the 250 passengers.  Here he chartered a steamer called the “Goddess of Liberty” and rode up the Mississippi River towards St. Louis.

Jan. 21, Parley had the steamer let him and his family (and also a convert from England named Mary Aspen) off in Chester, Illinois, about eighty miles below St. Louis, because he didn’t wish to be captured or even set foot in Missouri again.  It appears that the rest of the saints continued on to St. Louis.

Parley’s family lived in a stone house right on the river.  They were about 280 miles from Nauvoo, and waiting for the river to thaw so they could continue their journey.

Mary Ann Sterns Winter (Parley’s step daughter) related, “We rented part of the warehouse at the landing, stored our goods in the front part and partitioned off a place at the back for house-keeping.  A family by the name of Francis occupied the upper story, and they had four little girls—two of them about my age, and their company made the time pass more pleasantly with me that it otherwise would have done.  Their mother was a cultured, southern lady and the little girls were very nice companions, the one two and a half years old was a nice playmate for my little sister Olivia of the same age.  The little boys, Parley and Nathan, had plenty of room to run and play in the large building, and we made ourselves as comfortable as possible under the circumstances.  We had plenty of provisions and everything necessary for our comfort in that line.”60

Jan. 21, Parley wrote a letter from Chester, Illinois, to Bro. Ward in England, saying that Orson was still a member.61

Jan. 26, Parley finished a letter he started a week earlier which will appear in the April issue of the Millennial Star. For the last week he had been traveling around the area preaching a little and selling some of his books.

Jan. 27, Parley left his family in Chester, and traveled on horseback for several days.

Feb. 7, Parley arrived in Nauvoo after traveling 280 miles in 8 days.  Parley said that it took him “some eight days,” however, the DHC says that he arrived on Feb. 7, this would make his trip 12 days in duration.  The account of Parley’s arrival in the DHC is probably correct.

For the next two weeks while in Nauvoo, Parley visited his mother and two brothers, Orson and William, and their two families.62

He also visited Joseph Smith and many of the leaders of the Church.63 In the Times and Seasons on April 15, 1843, Parley said that when he came to Nauvoo for those two weeks he noticed that the cabin he had built in the summer of 1839 had been removed, “Even my cottage had been removed to open one of the principle streets.”64

Feb. 8, Parley visited Joseph Smith after dinner.

Feb. 9, Joseph Smith said that he spent most of the day in conversation with Parley and others.65

Feb. 10, Parley and Orson Pratt were among 9 apostles who met with Joseph Smith to discuss current affairs in Nauvoo.66

Feb. 10, Parley was deeded a piece of property on Block 101 Lot 1 for $500 by Joseph Smith (Trustee in Trust for the Church).67

Feb. 7-21, Mary Ann Stearns Winter described in her journal about Parley’s trip up to Nauvoo in February of 1843.  “Going up to Nauvoo, Brother Pratt purchased a building lot of Squire Wells, situated one block north of the temple.”68

Feb. 15, Parley accompanied Joseph Smith, Orson Hyde, and others to Shockoquon, a small town a few miles north of Nauvoo.  Joseph Smith preached on this two or three day excursion.

Feb. 21, “After a few days I returned to my family in Chester County on horseback.  The weather being extremely cold the Mississippi did not open till very late in the spring.”69

Feb. 27, “But near the last of February we took steamer for St. Louis, and upon our arrival there were transferred to the little steamboat, ‘Maid of Iowa,’ to continue the journey to Nauvoo, but the weather was so cold and so much ice in the river that we were detained there four weeks.  Brother Lorenzo Snow’s company of Saints on board the Amaranth were stationed just ahead of us, and had to remain the same length of time.  A little boy of his company about eight years old fell overboard and was drowned.  I attended the funeral and was much impressed by the accident.  By the last of March, the ice breaking up, the two steamers started up the river.  Sometimes one would be ahead and then the other, our little boat being much hindered by the large cakes of ice.”70

Apr. 1, Parley wrote a letter from Alton, Illinois (20 miles north of St. Louis).

Apr. 1, “I at length sent my family per steamer to St. Louis, and stopped at a hotel myself on the opposite side of the river, in Illinois Town.  In this situation we still had to remain for several days awaiting the opening of the river above.”71

Apr. 7, Susan was born to Mary Ann and Parley on board of the Maid of Iowa.72 She was their third of four children.

Apr. 12, “We were two weeks making the journey [up the Mississippi on the ‘Maid of Iowa’], …Brother Snow, with his company, landed at Nauvoo in the forenoon of April 12, and our company in the afternoon of the same day.”73

“About five p.m. the steamer Maid of Iowa hauled up at the Nauvoo Housel landing, and disembarked about two hundred Saints, in charge of Elders Parley P. Pratt and Levi Richards.  These had been detained at St. Louis, Alton, Chester, etc, through the winter, having left Liverpool last fall.  Dan Jones, captain of the Maid of Iowa, was baptized a few weeks since; he had been eleven days coming from St. Louis, being detained by ice.  I [Joseph Smith] was present at the landing and the first on board the steamer, when I met Sister Mary Ann Pratt (who had been to England with Brother Parley,) and her little daughter, only three of four days old.  I could not refrain from shedding tears.”74

“And oh! the anxiety of the Saints to see the Prophet Joseph Smith!  Some thought they would be able to discern him in a multitude, and they all longed to behold him and grasp his hand.  Brothers Joseph and Hyrum and a large company of people were at the landing to meet us.  Brother Pratt had introduced him to the company, and a general handshaking followed with the friends who had come to take them to their various homes and destinations.  Then Brother Joseph came to the boat and into the cabin where our family were.  After cordial greetings, he took a seat and taking the little boys, Parley and Nathan, upon his knees, seemed much affected, Brother Pratt remarking, ‘We took away three children and have brought back five.’  Then Brother Joseph said, ‘Well, well, Brother Parley, you have returned bringing your sheaves with you,’ the tears streaming down his face.  Brother Pratt, seeing the general emotion this caused, said, in a tender, jesting fashion, ‘Why, Brother Smith, if you feel so bad about our coming home, I guess we will have to go back again,’ tears of joy filling his own eyes.  This broke the spell—smiles returned, and joy unbounded filling every heart.  It was indeed a time of rejoicing, that two boat loads of Saints had arrived in one day.  Brother Joseph arose saying, ‘Come, Brother Parley, bring your folks right up to my house; it is only a little way, and you can be more comfortable after your long journey.’  My mother was placed in the big chair, and Brother Hodge, with others of Brother Joseph’s bodyguard, carried her up to the Mansion, Brother Pratt carrying the baby—the rest of us following a long, listening to all that Brother Joseph had to say.”75

Apr. 19, “At three p.m. I [Joseph Smith] met with Brigham Young, William Smith, Parley P. Pratt, Orson Pratt, Wilford Woodruff, John Taylor, Geo. A. Smith, and Willard Richards, of the quorum of the Twelve, in my office, and told them to go in the name of the Lord God of Israel, and tell Lucien Woodworth to put the hands on the Nauvoo House, and begin the work, and be patient till means can be provided.”

During this meeting, Orson was assigned to go the Eastern States.76

Apr. 19, Joseph Smith indicated that he wanted Parley to stay at home and build his house this year rather than go on another mission to England.77

Apr. 23, “Eleven, a.m., meeting at the Temple-stand; Brigham Young, Parley P. Pratt, Orson Pratt, Orson Hyde, George A. Smith, and Willard Richards present.  Parley P. Pratt preached in the afternoon, showing the rapid progress of Nauvoo during the past three years.”78

May 1, Erastus Snow and his family purchased property in Nauvoo, to build a duplex.  This indicates that Erastus Snow was in Nauvoo, by at least May 1, 1843.  Parley and Erastus will go into partnership and will build a store on Block 9 Lot 2 (south east corner of Wells and Young streets).  Today the Snow’s duplex has been restored and houses LDS missionaries.

May 5, “A house was soon rented across the street from our lot, and we moved in joyfully watching the building of our new home.”79

This lot across the street from where they were building their home and store was a fractional piece of property on the south west corner of Wells and Young street.  This was just north of where Orson Pratt and his family lived on the exact same lot (Block 8 Lot 1).

Orson and Sarah Pratt had purchased the southern 1/3 of Lot 1 nearly a year earlier on May 24, 1842, from Daniel H. Wells.

The land records show Mary Ann [Frost Stearns] Pratt purchased the northern 2/3 of Block 8 Lot 1 on May 5, 1843, for $300.  The large amount of money is a pretty clear indicator that the property contained a cabin of recent construction (see the next entry, May 7, 1843 for a description of this cabin).

Probably no later than mid July, Parley and his family moved out of this cabin and across Wells Street into their new two-story home and store.  It appears that portions of this cabin property may have been sold or leased over the years to Orson Pratt and his family (see paper on Orson Pratt in Nauvoo).

The NRI land records show that Mary Ann (Frost Stearns) Pratt sold their property on Block 8 Lot 9 to Balser Baumgardner and Hiram Jacobs on June 15, 1846, for $100.

Unfortunately, the sparse NRI records do not indicate why Hiram Kimball tried to foreclose on Parley P. Pratt on Dec. 12, 1846, instead of Baumgardner and Jacobs.80 Of course by Dec. 12, 1846, Mary Pratt and her family had been driven out of Nauvoo for almost three full months.

May 7, “…the unsettled state of my [Parley’s] large family (consisting of wife and her sister, 5 children, hired girl, and hundreds of goers and comers) all huddled into one small room [cabin on the south west corner of Wells & Young Street, Block 8 Lot 1] which we use for kitchen, parlour, dining room, bedroom and publick [public] office…Myself, family, Br. Orson and family and Bro. Wm and family are all well and living [torn page, ? near] each other.  Mother is here with us and is [torn page, ? doing] well.  [torn page] on and family will be here soon.  I wish the rest of my kindred would gather here….I am now building a two-story store and dwelling house 32 ft. by 56 near the Temple.  I hope to complete it in three months and then I am ready for another mission….”81

May 9, “Tuesday, 9.—In company with my [Joseph Smith’s] wife, mother, and my adult family, also Sidney Rigdon, Parley P. Pratt, John Taylor, Wilford Woodruff, and about one hundred gentlemen and ladies, went aboard the Maid of Iowa, started at ten minutes before eight a.m., from the Nauvoo dock, under a salute of cannon having on board a fine band of music.  We had an excellent address from our esteemed friend, Parley P. Pratt.  The band performed its part well.  Much good humor and hilarity prevailed.  The captain and officers on board did all they could to make us comfortable, and we had a very agreeable and pleasant trip.”82

May 11, The Twelve met in a Quorum meeting at 10:00 a.m. Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, Parley P. Pratt, Orson Pratt, Orson Hyde, Wilford Woodruff, George A. Smith, John Taylor, and Willard Richards were present.83

May 23, At 2:00 p.m. Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, Parley P. Pratt, Orson Pratt, Orson Hyde, Wilford Woodruff, John Taylor, George A. Smith, Willard Richards and others held their Quorum meeting.84

May 24, In an advertisement on May 24, 1843, the Nauvoo Neighbor records, “Dry goods, provisions, etc., Mr. Pratt at his store on Young Street, one block north of the Temple.”  In addition, the Nauvoo Neighbor also reports on July 19, 1843, that a H. McNeill and Company’s Drug store was located opposite of Parley’s store on Young Street.

June, “The barn was put up first [behind the house and store on the south east corner of Wells and Young street Block 9 Lot 2], a room win the basement plastered and fitting with shelves, the goods brought from New Orleans put in, and soon a thriving grocery business established, the people bringing butter, corn meal, and eggs to exchange for sugar, molasses, dried fruit, etc., and the people working on the buildings drawing their supplies from that source.”85

Parley and his family lived in this home until they left or were driven out of Nauvoo, Sept. 17, 1846.  As with their property on Block 8 Lot 1, it was foreclosed on by Hiram Kimball one month after the family was out of the state.

Late June, “In the latter part of June our joy was increased by the arrival of Grandfather and Grandmother Frost, with their two daughters, Sophronia and Huldah, from their home in the state of Maine.  They were all in the Church and rejoiced in the prosperity of Zion.  Grandfather, being a carpenter, soon went to work on the house, which was of brick with white stone basecaps and window sills, and four-foot square-stone pillars at the front of the store, supporting a stone cornice at the first story.  There were twenty-seven large windows in the building, and the cost when finished was $3,500, laying floors, making the stairs; and before the roof was quite finished we commenced moving in and kept going from one part to the other until it was all completed.  There was a deep cellar under the whole house, and before the floors were all laid my little brother Nathan, while walking over the joists, stepped on the end of a board when it tipped up and he fell through into the cellar, breaking his leg between knee and hip.”86

June 26, “Monday, 26.—It was reported that there were state writs in Nauvoo to take Lyman Wight, Parley P. Pratt, and Alexander McRae to Missouri, who armed themselves to prevent being kidnapped.”87

July 1, Parley and other leaders of the church gave sworn testimonies in the Municipal Court of Nauvoo relating to their expulsion from Missouri.88

July 3, “Elders Brigham Young, Orson Hyde, Parley P. Pratt, John Taylor, George A. Smith, Wilford Woodruff, and Willard Richards met at the Grove with the elders, and it was decided that the following elders go on a special mission to the following counties in the state of Illinois;…At two p.m., they [a congregation of nearly 15,000 saints at the Grove] were again addressed by Elder Parley P. Pratt on redemption, in a masterly discourse, when I [Joseph Smith] made some remarks.”89

July 4, “On the fourth of July, 1843, there was an excursion, on the little Maid of Iowa, up to Burlington, Iowa, and my father and mother and Aunt Olive were dressed alike and were standing a little distance off, when Brother Joseph said to Brother Parley, ‘It is the will of the Lord that those two sisters should never be parted’ (meaning that they should both belong to one man).  This being the next year after he received the revelation of celestial Marriage, is an added testimony to the truth of that principle.  I heard Brother Pratt tell it on his return home, and my mother also told me about it, and remembered it all her life, and frequently spoke about it.”90

Summer, Mary Ann Stearns Winter recorded, “One of our most enjoyable pastimes was to visit the Temple and run around on its walls, until it grew so high that it was considered dangerous, and we were prohibited from that pleasure.”91

She continued, “the view from that point [the temple walls] was a grand one.  We could see over into Iowa—and for miles up and down the river as well as the lower part of the city that was built on the flats that extended down to its banks.  Many a time, with companions, I have stood on the brow of the hill and watched the sun sink behind the Iowa hills, in the far distant west, little dreaming that I should follow its course until I, with the rest of the pilgrims, found a home in the top of the Rocky Mountains, so many, many miles distant over the trackless plains and burning sands.”92

July 12, Parley did as Joseph Smith directed and prayed all night for a revelation of conformation regarding Celestial Marriage.  On this night Thankful appeared to Parley in a dream or vision and told him that it was okay to have more than one wife.

July 24, Parley married Elizabeth Brotherton from Manchester, England.  This was Parley’s third marriage and his first polygamous wife.  They did not have any children.  Mary Ann Stearns Pratt recorded, “When the Temple was far enough completed to begin giving endowments my Pa [Parley] and Ma [Mary Ann Frost Pratt] were of the first company to receive those blessings.  Each had a special and individual invitation to attend those services and it was the first time for women to receive such blessings in a Temple in this dispensation – though some had received endowments in other places previous to this time.  My Pa and Ma had been sealed for eternity before the Prophet’s death – Brother Hyrum performing the sealing.  My mother was sealed first as proxy for her husband’s first wife, Thankful – then she was sealed for herself and after that gave to her husband Sister Elizabeth Brotherton for a third wife – all sealed at the same time.  This was told to me upon their return home the day that it occurred, and I believed it as much as if I had seen it with my own eyes — and those who assert that endowments were not given in the Prophet’s day, tell what they want to be so, and not what they know to be true, for I here bear testimony that I ironed the garments that my Pa wore, previous to the Prophet’s death, and I know this is so.”93

Aug. 6, “Sunday, 6.—Meeting at the stand.  Elder Parley P. Pratt preached on testimony.”94

Aug. 17, “Elders Parley P. Pratt and Orson Hyde started from Nauvoo for Boston, via Chicago.”95

Sept. 8, “The Twelve held a meeting in Boylston Hall, Boston.  Present—Elders Heber C. Kimball, Orson Pratt, George A. Smith, Wilford Woodruff, John E. Page.”96

Sept. 9, “Present [at a conference in Boston[ of the Quorum of the Twelve—Elders Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, Parley P. Pratt, Orson Pratt, Orson Hyde, John E. Page, Wilford Woodruff, George A. Smith.”97

Sept. 11, “Monday, 11.  Conference met at Boylston Hall at nine o’clock, a.m. Present of the quorum of the Twelve, Elders Brigham Young, Parley P. Pratt, Orson Pratt, John E. Page, Wilford Woodruff, George A. Smith, Heber C. Kimball, and Orson Hyde.

Elder Parley P. Pratt spoke as follows:–In the middle of last April I arrived at Nauvoo houseless and with a large family.  Brother Joseph said to me, “Brother Parley, stay at home and build a house.”  I was behindhand in instructions and information, while others had been at home learning the great things of God.  I have now come East principally on business, though I always have a mission, wherever I am.  I speak for my brethren: they have an absolute claim; it belongs to them, and they want it.  It is justly theirs.  I ask for nothing for myself.”98

Early Oct., By the first week of October most of the Twelve have started on their journey back home to Nauvoo.

Oct. 22, By the 22nd, some members of the Twelve had started arriving back in Nauvoo from their mission to the East (Boston).

Nov. 5, Erastus Snow recorded in his journal that he had arrived from the East with goods that he had purchased for the Pratt and Snow Store.99

Nov. 7, “The quorum of the Twelve—viz., President Brigham Young, Parley P. Pratt, Orson Pratt, Wilford Woodruff, John Taylor, George A. Smith, and Willard Richards, assembled in the mayor’s office, and voted to raise $500 to get paper, &c., to print the Doctrine and Covenants.

“Also voted that Parley P. Pratt, Wilford Woodruff, and John Taylor be a committee to borrow or get the money, and that President Young go along with them.”100

Nov. 7, Advertisement from the Nauvoo Neighbor: “NEW GOODS, VERY CHEAP, PRATT & SNOW, corner of Young and Wells streets, one block north of the Temple, Nauvoo, have just received from Boston the largest supply of Dry Goods ever opened in this city, consisting principally of good staple articles for fall and winter, such as Broad-cloths, Satinettes, Flannels, Shirtages, Sheetings, Calicoes, Boots, Shoes, etc, etc.  Cash wanted, and country produce bought and sold.  As we intend selling goods very cheap, and as the principle of honer [honor], justice and impartially, no one need ask for credit, nor waste breath in bantering on the price, as we have but one invariable price either for cash or barter.”101

Nov. 8, John C. Bennett moved his office onto Block 9 just south of Parley’s lot, and just north of Orson’s property.102

Nov. 26, “Sunday, 26.—I [Joseph Smith] met with Hyrum, the Twelve and others, in council with Colonel Frierson, at the Mansion, concerning petitioning Congress for redress of grievances.  Read to him the affidavits of Hyrum Smith, Brigham Young, Parley P. Pratt, Lyman Wight, George W. Pitkin and Sidney Rigdon, taken before the municipal court on habeas corpus, and conversed with him thereon.

“At eleven, a.m., Elder Orson Pratt preached in the Assembly Room.  In the evening, Elder Parley P. Pratt lectured in the Mansion.  Rainy, muddy day.”103

Dec. 2, “Saturday 2.—Prayer-meeting from one to six p.m., in the assembly room over the store.  Orson Hyde, Parley P. Pratt, Wilford Woodruff, George A. Smith, and Orson Spencer received their endowments and further instructions in the Priesthood.  About thirty-five persons present.”104

Dec. 21, Nathan Pratt died.  He was five and a half years old.

Dec. 31, “In the afternoon, [I, Joseph Smith] called with Elder Parley P. Pratt to see his wife.”105


Jan.-Mar., “In the opening of this year I [Parley] completed a number of miscellaneous works, some of which were published in pamphlet form.  Among these were ‘An Appeal to the Statue of New York,’ ‘Immortality of the Body,’ ‘Fountain of Knowledge,’ ‘Intelligence and Affection,’ and ‘The Angel of the Prairies.’”106

Feb. 14, It appears that the property Daniel H. Wells had sold to Parley a year earlier (the northern 2/3 of Block 9 Lot 2), was paid for today at the price of $300.  Orson Pratt was still living on the southern 1/3 of the same lot on this day.107

Feb. 21, “At a meeting of the Twelve, at the mayor’s office, Nauvoo, February 21, 1844, seven o’clock, p.m., Brigham Young, Parley P. Pratt, Orson Pratt, Wilford Woodruff, John Taylor, George A. Smith, Willard Richards and four others being present, called by previous notice, by instruction of President Joseph Smith on the 20th instant, for the purpose a selecting a company to explore Oregon and California, and select a site for a new city for the Saints.”108

Mar. 7, “A vast assembly of Saints met at the Temple of the Lord at nine o’clock a.m., by a special appointment of President Joseph Smith, for the purpose of advancing the progress of the Temple, &c.  The Patriarch, Hyrum Smith, was present; also of the Twelve Apostles Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, Parley P. Pratt, Orson Pratt, Willard Richards, Wilford Woodruff, John Taylor, and George A. Smith; also the temple committee and about eight thousand Saints.  A hymn was sung by the choir; prayer by
Elder Parley P. Pratt….”109

Mar. 10, Parley and Orson attended a provisional meeting of the Council of Fifty.110

Mar. 11, A special conference was called to discuss some matters of importance pertaining to the saints.  Among those in attendance were Joseph & Hyrum Smith, most of the Twelve including Parley & Orson Pratt, and many other Church leaders.111 Also on this day, Parley and Orson were officially inducted into the Council of Fifty.112

Spring, Prior to April 30, the Pratt and Snow Store on the corner of Wells and Young Street closed its doors due to both Parley and Erastus Snow leaving on missions.113

Spring, During the spring, Parley went to Boston as a missionary, and on business.  While there he wrote “Joseph Smith and the Devil,” which was published in the New York Herald.

May 3, Parley wrote a letter from Richmond, Mass.

May 4, Parley was in Boston, Mass.

June, Orson journeyed to visit Parley who was editing a New York paper called The Prophet.  This periodical was advancing Joseph Smith’s goals and ideals for his presidential candidacy.114

June 20, “Thursday, June 20, 1844—I [Joseph Smith] wrote to those of the Twelve Apostles who are absent on missions to come home immediately, namely, Brigham Young, Boston; Heber C. Kimball, Washington; Orson Hyde, Philadelphia; Parley P. Pratt, New York; Orson Pratt, Washington; Wilford Woodruff, Portage, New York; ….”115

June 26-27, “A day or two previous to this circumstance [the death of Joseph and Hyrum] I [Parley] had been constrained by the Spirit to start prematurely for home, without knowing why or wherefore; and on the same afternoon I was passing on a canal boat near Utica, New York, on my way to Nauvoo.  My brother, William Pratt, being then on a mission in the same State (New York), happened, providentially, to take passage on the same boat.  As we conversed together on the deck, a strange and solemn awe came over me, as if the powers of hell were let loose.  I was so over-whelmed with sorrow I could hardly speak; and after pacing the deck for some time in silence, I turned to my brother William and exclaimed—“Brother William, this is a dark hour; the powers of darkness seem to triumph, and the spirit of murder is abroad in the land, and it controls the hearts of the American people, and a vast majority of them sanction the killing of the innocent.” … “This was June 27, 1844, in the afternoon, and as near as I can judge, it was the same hour that the Carthage mob were shedding the blood of Joseph and Hyrum Smith…” “My brother bid me farewell somewhere in Western New York, he being on his way to a conference in that quarter, and passing on to Buffalo I took steamer for Chicago, Illinois.  The steamer touched at a landing in Wisconsin, some fifty or sixty miles from Chicago, and here some new passengers came on board and brought the news of the martyrdom of Joseph and Hyrum Smith.”116

June 29, Parley arrived in Chicago, and continued on to Peoria (probably July 2), where he stayed overnight before starting for Nauvoo—distance 105 miles.

July 6, Parley probably arrived in Nauvoo on this day.

July 14, “Sunday, 14.–Meeting at the stand: Elder Parley P. Pratt preached.”117

July 19, “Friday, 19.—Elders Parley P. Pratt, Willard Richards, John Taylor and W.W. Phelps spent the afternoon in council.”118

July 20, “Saturday, 20.—Elders Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball spent the day together in the city of Boston.  Elders Orson Hyde and Orson Pratt left for New York, and Elder Wilford Woodruff for Connecticut.”119

July 21, “Sunday, 21.—Meeting at the stand.  Elder Parley P. Pratt preached from the Book of Mormon quoting from Moroni, ‘Widows mourning for their husbands.’  Afternoon.—The sacrament was administered.  Elders Pratt, Cahoon and Richards spoke.”120

July 24, “Wednesday, 24.—Elders Parley P. Pratt, Willard Richards, W.W. Phelps, George Miller and L. Woodworth met in council.  They anointed and administered to Elder Samuel H. Smith, who was very sick.”121

July-Aug., Between July 28, and August 7, Parley and Willard Richards were the two Apostles which most notably stood up to Sidney Rigdon and others who were coming forth to take over the Church.  By the first week of August most of the Twelve were in town.

Aug. 7, All the members of the Twelve in Nauvoo (including Parley and Orson Pratt), met at the Seventies Hall to discuss the claims of Sidney Rigdon and others about the leadership of the Church.   The only Apostle missing was John Taylor who was recovering from wounds received at the Carthage Jail.  Most of the Twelve had met with him earlier in the day to get his thoughts concerning what should be done.122

Aug. 8, Parley and Orson Pratt were present to witness Brigham Young speak and appear as Joseph Smith while speaking in the Seventies Hall.123

Aug. 9, “Friday, August 9, 1844.—I [Brigham Young] met in council with Elders Heber C. Kimball, Parley P. Pratt, Orson Pratt, Wilford Woodruff, Willard Richards, George A. Smith, Amasa M. Lyman and eleven others at my house,…”124

Aug. 19, “I [Brigham Young] met in council with Elders Heber C. Kimball, Parley P. Pratt, Orson Pratt, Willard Richards, Wilford Woodruff, George A. Smith, Amasa M. Lyman, Erastus Snow, William W. Phelps and Jonathan Dunham….”125

Aug. 28, Susan Pratt died.  She was the third child of Parley and Mary Ann Frost Pratt.

Sept. 8, Present at the formal trial of Sidney Rigdon were: Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, Parley P. Pratt, Orson Pratt, Orson Hyde, George A. Smith, John Taylor and Amasa M. Lyman.126

Sept. 9, Parley married Mary Wood from Glasgow, Scotland.  She was Parley’s fourth wife and they will have four children.

Sept. 15, “Elder Parley P. Pratt preached in the forenoon and Elder Orson Pratt in the afternoon.”127

Sept. 29, “Sunday, September 29, 1844.—I [Brigham Young] attended meeting.  Elder Parley P. Pratt preached on the duties of saints and advised all the drunkards and thieves to either quit their wickedness or leave the city, and not claim the name of Mormons, he exhorted the saints in the spirit of meekness to cherish the fruits of the Spirit and walk uprightly before God, and deal justly with all men and to shew [show] by their walk and conduct that they had not taken upon them the name of Christ in vain, giving their enemies no occasion to say or print anything against them that was evil.”128

Oct. 6, “OCTOBER CONFERENCE MINUTES City of Nauvoo, Oct. 6, 1844.  Thousands having arrived on the ground by ten o’clock a.m.  Elder Parley P. Pratt called the people to order.  Singing by the choir—prayer by Elder Phelps.  Some instructions were given by Elder Pratt, when President Brigham Young having arrived, arose to lay before the brethren the matters to be attended to during the conference.”

“Monday, October 7, 1844, 10 o’clock, a.m.—Conference met pursuant to adjournment, and opened by singing, and prayer by Elder Parley P. Pratt, after which President Young arose to exhort the saints to keep their minds on the business before them, and not to be in a hurry to get away.”129

Oct. 13, Both Parley and Orson preached today.  Orson instructed the seventies in relation to their duties in the seventies hall.130

Oct. 14, Parley sold a portion of his lot on Block 9 to Ezra Bickford for $600.  This was some property situated between Parley and Orson Pratt which contained another two story home on lot 9.  This was not Parley’s two story home, but another one on the same lot just a little further south.131

Oct. 24, “Thursday, 24.—We left Ottoway [Ottowa] and drove forty-three miles to Brother Parley P. Pratt’s farm.  We found his brother, Anson Pratt, and family well: they were glad to see us.”133

Oct. 31, “Thursday, 31—Elder Heber C. Kimball and I [Brigham Young] visited the Temple.  I called at Sister Snively’s [one of Parley’s wives] with Brother Parley P. Pratt.”134

Nov. 2, Parley arrived Hannahette Snively from Woodstock, Virginia.  She was Parley’s fifth wife and they will have three children.

Nov. 9, It was decided that Newel K. Whitney and George Miller were authorized to use Parley’s barn and yard for a slaughter house to supply the temple builders with meat.  This work will have commenced by at least April 1, 1845.135

Nov. 20, Parley married Belinda Marden from Chichester, New Hampshire.  She was Parley’s sixth wife and they will have five children.136 They were married in the home of Erastus Snow by Brigham Young.

Parley published a pamphlet in Nauvoo, “An Appeal to the Inhabitants of the State of New York.”

Dec. 1, “Sunday, December 1, 1844.—Elder Parley P. Pratt was appointed to go to the city of New York, and take charge of the press, regulate and counsel the immigration that may come that way from Europe and take the presidency of all the eastern branches of the church,…”137

Dec. 2, “A VOICE FROM THE TEMPLE By the Temple Committee, ‘We would say to all those who wish to bring tithes for the building of the Temple in the city of Nauvoo, that we have deemed it wisdom to remove our office, for the better accommodation of business, and of all who visit us on business, to the new and commodious brick store of Elder Parley P. Pratt, situated one block north from the west end of the Temple; at which place we will attend every day in the week (Sunday excepted) from morning till evening, to receive donations for the Temple and also attend to all other matters of business pertaining to the Trustees.  We publish this notice that the brethren may not need to inquire where they shall deposit their donations.  We have only one place of deposit in the city of Nauvoo and that is the above mentioned brick store.”138

Dec. 2, Having been appointed by Brigham Young and the Twelve, Parley left Nauvoo and his family and started on a mission to the Atlantic States where he had been assigned to take charge of the area.  E.T. Benson & P. Brown accompanied Parley on this mission.

Dec. 7, Moroni was born to Mary Ann and Parley.  He was their fourth and last child.

Dec. 24, The three missionaries arrived in New York.  Parley assigns E.T. Benson to take charge of Boston, and P. Brown to serve over the Philadelphia area.  Parley remains in New York.139

Previous Next

Return to histories of Parley P. Pratt

60 Mary Ann Sterns Winter, Journal.  Brigham Young University Archives, Parley P. Pratt Collection MSS 7, 10.

61 Millennial Star, vol. 3, 206-7.

62 Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt, 328-329; DHC, vol. 5, 265.

63 DHC, vol. 5, 267-268.

64 It is very possible that the Pratt cabin was situated right in the path of future road construction.  Of course many of the streets were laid out long after Parley and his family left for England.  For a period of time, it is quite probably that the road dead-ended at Parley’s cabin.  Consequently, they may have named the street “Parley Street” in honor of Parley and also because of where his cabin was located at the time they named the streets.

65 DHC, vol. 5, 267.

66 DHC, vol. 5, 258.

67 See Historical Department, NRI Collection, and Brigham Young University Archives, MSS 7, Parley P. Pratt Collection, Box 2, Folder 3.  In addition, PPP and Mary Ann will sell this property to Nathan Wixom on July 11, 1843.  The price of the land is listed for $1000, however, PPP reserves the right to harvest his crops which are still in the ground as of July 11, 1843 when the transaction is completed.  Historical Department, NRI Collection.

68 Mary Ann Stearns Winter, Journal, 10.  Parley purchased the property on Block 9 Lot 2 on the south east corner of Wells and Young streets on February 14, 1843; just four days after he secured Lot 1 on Block 101 on Feb. 10, 1843.

69 Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt, 329.

70 Mary Ann Sterns Winter, Journal, 11.

71 Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt, 329.

72 Mary Ann Sterns Winter writes in her journal on page 11, “…and on the 5th of April I had a little sister born who was named Susan for our Grandma Frost.  The 6th being my own birthday I regretted it very much that they could not have come together.”  In the Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt, 462, it records that Susan was born on April 7, 1843.

73 Mary Ann Sterns Winter, Journal, 11.

74 DHC, vol. 5, 354.

75 Mary Ann Sterns Winter, Journal, 11.

76 DHC, vol. 5, 366.

77 DHC, vol. 5, 367.

78 DHC, vol. 5, 366.

79 Mary Ann Sterns Winter, Journal, 11.

80 See the Warsaw Signal, December 12, 1846; and also the Historical Department, NRI Collection.

81 Letter from Parley P. Pratt to John Van Cott in Columbia Co., New York, May 7, 1843.

82 DHC, vol. 5, 384-5.

83 DHC, vol. 5, 386.

84 DHC, vol. 5, 404.

85 Mary Ann Sterns Winter, Journal, 11.

86 Mary Ann Sterns Winter, Journal, 12.

87 DHC, vol. 5, 448.

88 Their affidavits can be found in the Appendix to Volume 3 of the DHC, 403-466.  PPP’s affidavit is found on pages 424-432.

89 DHC, vol. 5, 485.

90 Mary Ann Sterns Winter, Journal, 12.

91 Mary Ann Sterns Winter, Journal, 10.

92 Mary Ann Sterns Winter, Journal, 10.

93 Mary Ann Sterns Winter, Journal, 13.

94 DHC, vol. 5, 525.

95 DHC, vol. 5, 537.

96 DHC, vol. 6, 10.

97 DHC, vol. 6, 11.

98 DHC, vol. 6, 27.

99 Erastus Snow Journal, Historical Department Archives, Nov. 5, 1844.

100 DHC, vol. 6, 66.

101 Nauvoo Neighbor, Nov. 7, 1843.

102 Nauvoo Neighbor, Nov. 8, 1843.

103 DHC, vol. 6, 83.

104 DHC, vol. 6, 98.

105 DHC, vol. 6, 153.

106 Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt, 330.

107 Historical Department, NRI Collection.

108 DHC, vol. 6, 223.

109 DHC, vol. 6, 236.

110 BYU Studies, vol. 20, #2, 195.

111 DHC, vol. 6, 260.

112 BYU Studies, vol. 20, #2, 195.

113 Erastus Snow Journal, Historical Department Archives, April 30, 1844.

114 England, Orson Pratt, 95.

115 DHC, vol. 6, 519.

116 Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt, 331.

117 DHC, vol. 7, 184.

118 DHC, vol. 7, 200.

119 DHC, vol. 7, 200.

120 DHC, vol. 7, 202.

121 DHC, vol. 7, 202.

122 CHC, vol. 2, 414-5.

123 CHC, vol. 2, 416-420.

124 CHC, vol. 7, 246.

125 DHC, vol. 7, 260.

126 DHC, vol. 7, 268.

127 DHC, vol. 7, 271.

128 DHC, vol. 7, 278.

129 DHC, vol. 6, 284, 293, 295.

130 DHC, vol. 7, 310.

131 Historical Department, NRI Collection.  If desired, I can map out how the house and store and other property and buildings stood on Block 9 Lot 2.

133 DHC, vol. 7, 312.  This is one of two references that we have referring to a farm owned by PPP.  In the Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt, 340-1, he says, “In leaving home at this inclement season (Feb. 14, 1846), I left a good house, lot and out buildings, worth about seven thousand dollars, and several lots and houses of less value, besides a farm in the country worth near two thousand.”  It is unclear whether these references refer to the same farm or two different farms, one in Ottowa and one in the country surrounding Nauvoo.  However, there is no land, tax, or property records in the NRI files regarding any farm owned by PPP in or near Nauvoo.  It is also unclear why PPP owned a farm 45 miles from Ottowa.  A woman b y the name of Marlene Ketley from Aurora, Illinois, has been researching an article on the LDs in northern Illinois.  At my request, she has offered to send all her information regarding the PPP farm near Ottowa to me.  However, she does not know the exact location of the farm site at this time.  In addition, I have yet to receive the information she promised.

134 DHC, vol. 7, 314.

135 Nauvoo Neighbor, Nov. 13, 1844.

136 Belinda Marden Pratt had arrived in Nauvoo about the end of Sept. 1844.  She first rejected the doctrine of Eternal Marriage and polygamy, but she later accepted it through the teachings of Brigham Young.  See the “Woman’s Exponent,” Vol. 38, (1910), 70.

137 DHC, vol. 7, 317.

138 DHC, vol. 7, 318.

139 Belinda Pratt accompanied her husband on this trip and she records that they arrived in New York by stage on Christmas Eve.  See “Women’s Exponent,” Vol. 38 (1910), 70-71.