Parley’s Canyon was opened for travel under the name of the “Golden Pass;” Parley P. Pratt, proprietor.  The toll was 75 cts. For each conveyance drawn by two animals, and 10 cents for each additional draught, pack or saddle animal, etc.  The Newark Rangers, of Kendall Co., Ill., was the first company to follow Apostle Pratt through the pass, which opened a new road through the mountains from the Weber River to G.S.L. Valley.

[Journal History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, July 4, 1850, 1]

[transcribed and proofread by David Grow, July 2006]

Return to Parley P. Pratt’s Road Up Parley’s Canyon