Entries from the Journal History of the Church


The following is an account of the regular meeting held by the First Presidency and Apostles at the Temple this morning at 10 o’clock.

There were present: Prests. Joseph F. Smith, John R. Winder, and Francis M. Lyman, Elders Heber J. Grant, Hyrum M. Smith, George F. Richards, Orson F. Whitney, David O. McKay, Anthony W. Ivins and the Patriarch John Smith.

Meeting commenced by singing, “Glory to God on High.” Opening prayer by Brother Rudger Clawson, President John R. Winder at the altar. Singing, “Guide us, O thou Great Jehovah.”

Minutes of last week’s meeting were read and approved. Bro. Anthony W. Ivins reported Tooele Conference. Brother David O. McKay reported Davis Conference.

Bro. Hyrum M. Smith reported that he accompanied Prest. Francis M. Lyman to Ogden Valley on Sunday, where they reorganized the Bishopric of Liberty Ward as follows: Arthur Moroni Ferrin ordained Bishop by President Lyman, John H. Clark and David E. Chard were set apart as counselors.

A letter was read from the Presidency of the Salt Lake Stake, recommending Osborn J.P. Widtsoe as Bishop of the Nineteenth Ward, to succeed Bishop Isaac Barton, honorably released. Recommendation approved on motion of Bro. Hyrum M. Smith

A letter was read from Prest. Lewis W. Shurtliff, recommending that a new ward be organized out of part of Ogden First Ward and Ogden Fifth Ward, with Wilford O. Ridges as Bishop. Reccomendation approved.

Another letter was read from Prest. Shurtliff, recommending that Adolph Fernalius succeed George W. Kendall as Bishop of South Weber Ward. Recommendation approved.

No conference appointments. Brother Lyman to attend Nineteenth Ward meeting, this city, to assist in the reorganization of its Bishopric.

Council adjourned. Benediction by Brother Orson F. Whitney.

[Journal History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Jun. 30, 1909, 8]

[transcribed and proofread by David Grow, Apr. 2006]


Excerpt from the following week’s meeting notes:

…Brother David O. McKay met with the people in the First Ward and part of the Fifth Ward of Ogden for the purpose of organizing them into a new ward. Boundary lines were east of Washington Avenue and all south of Twenty-eighth Street, which was now known as Ogden Ninth Ward. Wilford O. Ridges was sustained as Bishop, with Daivd F. Steele and Lorenzo Jackson as counselors…

[Journal History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, July 7, 1909, 5]

[transcribed and proofread by David Grow, Apr. 2006]


Return to histories of Wilford Owen Ridges