Teancum Pratt, Founder of Helper
(continued 1893-1900)

[used by permission, originally published in Utah Historical Quarterly, Fall 1980]

Thursday June 29 [1893] I worked on the fence on the south side of the Helper land, the smaller boys helping.

Parley started to work at the brick yard on Wednesday. Mr. Honer is the maker, and we expect soon to see plenty of homemade brick here. We get plenty of ice water from a spring which has broken out under the Railroad Company’s ice house, while at work at Helper.

Monday July 3 [1893] I started on Saturday to Castle Dale to attend priesthood meeting, but on getting to Huntington, I learned that the meeting had already taken place, so I stopped in Huntington at Brother Hansen’s and attended Sunday school and meeting and spoke from the stand.

I am between two chairs, as it were, this season. I lean towards the Beaver ditch and yet want to water and improve at Helper, and am not satisfied with my progress at either place.

On reaching home Sunday evening, I found my folk’s well. Aunt Em Perkins was down and Dick, the horse, was in the corral. He had been away over a month, and I had hunted some little for him.

Saturday July 8 [1893] I returned yesterday from Beaver Canal whither I had been to make out some leases and get water upon some of my levees which are new, being away Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Owing to being away, the fast meeting and baptism were neglected.

Sunday July 9 [1893] Iattended Sunday school and meeting at home. Spoke a short time in meeting. My prayers are upon the subject of our financial distress, for deliverance from our poverty and debts and also for my children that they may be preserved from the sins of this generation. R. Edwards came to Sarah’s from her father’s, where there was some disturbance. The land is all going to thievery and wickedness. May these days come to an end.

At noon, I attended to the baptizing of 5 persons, children in the ward, except Richard Keifer, who is a young man.

Tuesday July 11 [1893] Last evening the bishop’s court met to hear a charge of William Miller against H. J. Stowell regarding some lots bought of Babcock’s and decided that Brother Stowell was in the fault and gave him 60 days in which to correct his transaction.

Wednesday July 12 [1893] Yesterday I finished setting the posts around the desert entry of Helper.

George Taylor has helped me the last 2 days. I also prepared the Spring Glen Canal with openings for the floods which are now at hand. It rained and hailed yesterday.

Our hearts are sorely tried now over the society which our children are forced to keep and we canvas many schemes for saving them from bad society, and the final conclusion is always that being here, we must stay and make the best of our chances.

Thursday July 13 [1893] Last evening my brother, Abinadi, came to my house and surprised me. He is a strange man.

I was talking to Mr. Collar yesterday, relative to the purchase of the orchard and meadow; also Mr. Gooney spoke to me about leasing the land across the river.

I attended a school meeting at Helper and was appointed one of a committee of 5 to look after the location of a school lot in Spring Glen.

I was busy today in the forenoon, watering, and in the afternoon repairing the Spring Glen Canal after a flood. We are among most abominable neighbors here. We have Jane Babcock on one side, and Savages and Millers and Stowells and Haycocks and Thompsons and Ewells and Bellows, and really I am tormented at the thought of our situation.31 We sometimes think it would be better at Helper. We certainly could not be worse off then here.
The young people of the place seem to excel in hoodlimism and carry our children along.

Tuesday July 18 [1893] Last Sunday I donated a lot for the Spring Glen School.

The Helper schoolhouse is liable to be located up on Father Mead’s land. I just finished furrowing out the lucerne, having planted lucerne and turnips upon the corn patch, which had been eaten up by cattle.

I gave my children a severe lecturing about their deportment in Spring Glen with a view to warning them to shun the evil tendencies which are so prevelant.

Wrote to O. F. Crowley for balance due on lots 128-75.

Talked with Mrs. Hage and C. Thomas about selling them land.

Thursday Morning July 20 [1893] Annie went to Price yesterday and got 4 more bales of barb wire. I was watering and fencing at Helper. It was the hottest day of the season yesterday. Honners cattle annoyed me and I am anxious to complete the fence and make a canal.

It being the 20 July, the school meeting was held at Fitch’s and a decision passed to have the school house lot of Helper upon Brother Mead’s land.32

Brother Oliphant of Orangeville called this morning and took breakfast with us. We are in much distress on account of light money and have to live by faith.

Our circumstances are as follows: Living on dry lots in town, we have no feed for a cow or horse. We have little garden truck. Our crop at Helper a total failure through stock revages; and living upon the Price Trading Co., having mortgaged lots at Helper.
It is indeed a gloomy outlook; yet we never were as well off. We are well housed, the canal is ready to operate next season. I have great interest in property, water, and land, but can I hold out till the property becomes active? I have replanted the Helper land with lucerne and turnips and am watering now.

Tuesday July 25 [1893] Spent the 24th yesterday in watering, counseling in the bishopric in regard to W. H. Thompson and other matters, was appointed to hold and keep account of the fast offering fund. Attended the public dance at the Hall in the evening.33

William H. Thompson and his family, it seems, are greatly given to backbiting and spreading scandal, and he was severely chastized. They have caused me much grief in the past.

Wednesday July 26 [1893] Mrs. Hage paid me $10.00 on lots 5 and 6 in place A 8, balance to be paid August 22.

Sarah Thompson asked to rent my house in Helper. I was getting water in the Spring Glen Canal most of the day. The floods had stopped it.

My lucerne and turnips are coming nicely.

I am making a little progress upon the organ which we bought of Mrs. Cannon and which I practice upon daily.

We had peas and beans today and bought two soup bones.

There are many hungry men tramping on the road.

Thursday July 27 [1893] Italked yesterday with Mr. J. H. Crowley, who is an educated man of the world, and paid me $35.00 on account and promised to pay me $100.00 more in a few days. I talked of the gospel to him and gave him an outline of it in which he is quite interested. He has got me into the notion to plant one acre of strawberries.

Watered the ground for the strawberries and went among the neighbors to look for plants. Shall not be able to get enough around here.

I sent off money checks to various parties whom I am owing and sent cash to State Bank of Utah to cover.

Friday July 29 [1893] Watered the ground selected for strawberries and it watered so beautifully. Also spoke to Mr. Folly, who peddles from Huntington and as it happens, Annie had already spoken to him and he has himself what we shall need to do our planting.

At noon I got the [Deseret] News and read of the suggestions of great masses of people, including the News to make local money of coin ingots and never mind the national movements, and thus become self-sustaining.

Sunday July 31 [1893] Attended religious services as counselor and spoke at neighborhood meeting in the evening, at which many matters pertaining to the welfare of the ward were discussed and considerable of a start made towards reforming the affairs of the ward. It is encouraging to see the spirit of union and wise counsel of the bishopric. Everybody is complaining of hunger and hard living.

Wednesday August 2 [1893] Yesterday I went to fix the ditch, which waters the orchard, and found that by a few simple repairs, it could be made so as to carry a large stream with no fear of trouble, so we set to work upon it with a will. We also whitewashed the Helper house for rent to Laura Thompson, who is now Mrs. Erickson.

We think poorly of the management of Brother Ewell, who has suffered 6 years for want of a days labor upon the ditch, and spent many days in an improper way trying to get enough water, where a day spent in a permanent manner would get all and keep it in. Such management would break any man and bring him to insolvency.

Sunday and Monday August 6-7 [1893] Brother Herbert Savage and myself went to Huntington to conference and reported our ward. We had to report the case of H. J. Stowell to President Larsen. Brother Stowell is in much difficulty, the result of his business transactions while he was bishop. We had a splendid time, and were met by Brother Reynolds and Wells, who talked mostly upon the subject of saving and educating the rising generation, and this subject is very much talked of now.

Tuesday August 8 [1893] Planted strawberries 8 or 900 plants, the first of a proposed acre.
Mr. Siston asked Parley to come and work on the section for him as the men have quit on account of decrease in wages. We thought we better let him try it.

Thursday August 10 [1893] Yesterday we finished repairing the ditch to the old orchard and watered same. It has been dry since the railroad town of Helper came, but now the trees, being mostly alive, we will water and restore them. We shall have to fence it also.
I water the strawberries again and borrowed Lorenzo Ewell’s furrow and furrowed the remaining ground with the roller. Annie went to Price and got 500 plants. We also hauled 2 1/2 bales of wire to the line of the proposed orchard fence.

The evening was spent by getting the children together and singing and teaching them the songs and principles of the Gospel. In endeavoring to get supper at 6:00 and have all ready for school at 7, I find it hard for the wives and children to break from all habits.

I have never been regular in my habits and now, for a few weeks have had my desk and papers and lately have commenced to systematize my hours more. It seems a difficult thing for a farmer to be regular. I use the morning for my letters and diary and entering my accounts and the evening hours are to be devoted to the improvement of the children.

Monday August 14 [1893] I spent Friday and Saturday at planting strawberries and fencing the orchard. We found quite a lot new mine ties on the island, which we carried to the line of the fence for posts.

Sunday I attended Sabbath school and meeting and in the evening a priesthood meeting at which there were 12 persons present and we entered seriously into a discussion of our situation. Brother Miller and Rowley agreed to act as teachers Permit Ewell was ordained to the priesthood of a deacon.

Wednesday August 16 [1893] Went to Price for plants and was reminded of the fact that an appointment for a women’s meeting should have been out at Spring Glen and as Brother Mead had already gone with the visiting sisters, I hurried to Brother Cox’s house, filled my sack with plants, and came home in time to straighten the house and attend meeting with the sisters, held religion class in the evening with the children.34 Richard Keifer came and engaged the hall for a wedding dance. He is to marry Mrs. Morgan, a widow. He is a young man who lately joined the church here.

Thursday August 17 [1893] Planted some more vines and had to go to the head of the ditch and take out a lot of dirt and rock which someone had maliciously thrown in, and later the watchman asked me if I had put it in, so it was not the Railroad Company.

In the evening, we had a school religion class, and after all the children had promised not to stay at Keefer’s wedding dance later than 12:00, we let out.

Wednesday August 23 [1893] The days pass so rapidly that I can scarcely keep pace with them. Last Sunday, I attended service at Spring Glen and meeting and quorum at night. All three of us being at home, Brother Fullmer regrets having gone off to work the past season instead of staying at home as I counseled him.

On Sunday afternoon, a call for a missionary from Spring Glen was read. Spring Glen ward being called to furnish a missionary to attend Y.M.M.I.A. at Provo for 20 weeks, and in spite of the close times the vote and call was almost unanimous and William Ewell was sustained to fill the call.35

It was thought by the saints that we better donate liberally and trust the Lord for the future and it was like a test of the people’s faith. I felt to greatly rejoice to see the willing response.

Today we completed the wire fence on the east side of the orchard. Yesterday there was a flood in the river. It did our ditch much good.

This evening we had religion class as usual. The hardest part of our work is to get ready in time.

Thursday August 24 [1893] Went to Price on account of the funeral of A. Simmons’ child yesterday and attended funeral today.

Also went to the head of the ditch and finding the water shut off, I took out the dam so that the company will have to clean the ditch or put in a good dam or they can’t get water. I also brought up from Price a sack of strawberry plants and propose to plant all our spare ground with them on these Spring Glen lots.

Sunday August 27 [1893] I attended regular services fore and afternoon and will relate a circumstance which occured the past week. We of the bishopric had desired much that we might not have to leave home to earn our livlihood and had earnestly besought the Lord to relieve us especially Brother Savage, who is in straightened circumstances, and during the week he received an invitation to work near here on L. M. Olsen’s coal claim; we took as an answer to our prayers. Oh, these days of trouble which are upon us. I feel as I were walking on a thin crust of ice with nought but faith to sustain me. May heaven grant us speedy relief. The nation seems tottering, and about to crumble and fall.

Wednesday September 6 [1893] We have now planted near an acre of strawberries and fenced the orchard. The land east of the Railroad yard is quite free from damage by stock. I learn from Mr. Paradice that the expected large canal will head near my orchard ditch.

My little daughter, Bell, has been very sick with summer complaint and was restored by the blessing of the Lord.

We are holding evening school for lecturing my family on the important things of life, and we also practice singing. I am progressing slowly on the organ.

I am several hundred dollars in debt and worry about how I shall come out.

Monday September 11 [1893] I worked 1 day for John Rowley at felling [for] a charcoal kiln.36 Myself and Parley earned $3.25. I went and saw Charley Taylor and he said he would continue to trust me with goods till I can make my ditch, so I am going to start that right away.

Friday September 14 [1893] I have planted Sarah’s strawberries for the past week, besides attending others work on the farm.

Sister Perkins is down from Oak Spring.

Frost is killing my vines.

October 30 [1893] I arose at 4:30 this morning to try and catch up with this record.
I have made a very successful effort on the Beaver Canal in the last 6 weeks, having spent my time mostly there and having during the time bought R. B. Martin out on the Oak Spring.

We made the section of ditch connecting the foot of Oak Spring Bench with levees, and also 50 rods of heavy pick and shovel work below, and now feel that it is in splendid prospects for the coming season and that we can run water through the entire length of the ditch next June when the flush of water comes.

We have also dug 100 bushels of potatoes at Helper, moved the logs for the house at Oak Spring Bench, dug 75 bushels of turnips, gathered corn from 3 acres up the Gordon Creek, killed 1 beef cow, which came so kindly home from the range, watered the lands at Helper, hauled some materials for Sarah’s homestead cabin, attended priesthood meeting at Castle Dale, sold some lots at Helper and all of which has kept me very busy and this week I am trying to get all the posts for the homestead cabin and other material and also haul up some wood while the weather is good.


February 8 [1894] Three months since I last made an entry. The time slips by so rapidly that I failed to realize its flight till I looked into my book.

I have learned this fact: that to have plenty of leisure does not insure the prompt performance of ones duties, as I have had a good rest through December and January and yet have not attended my diary as well as when I am more busy. In fact, a great lethargy seized me in December and I have done but little except attend to ward duties as counsellor till this week and now I feel full of ambition and have grubbed brush at Helper for 2 days.
I attended conference at Castle Dale in November [1893] with Brother Fullmer and stayed over night with Brother Oliphant.

During the wintry weather my children have been at school. Elizabeth being in Salt Lake City, where kind friends named Short have kept her while she studies at school.

Last Sunday I was notified of quarantine for 2 weeks in consequence of a mild form of diptheria at Wm. Ewells to which I had been exposed through administering.

We have gone to Price Trading Co. for our family supplies this winter and yet have not been comfortably clad, sheltered, and fed and I am mortgaging Helper lots to pay the bills. I have also gone into the fight somewhat to get the county seat, of a proposed new county, at Helper.

I have served the Spring Glen ward as deacon till last week. I was released, owing to the press of other duties, chorister for the Sunday school and young mens’ and acted for all our public gatherings.

December 12 [1894] 10 months since I wrote in this journal, and they have been the busiest months of my life.

Last January I started out to work on the Beaver Canal and encountered some very severe blizzards, some of the worst I ever experienced, by my work was in the main gulches which the canal crosses, and some days I spent in my shirt sleeves and never was more content or happy than while laboring upon this work.

Brother Fullmer, bishop of Spring Glen ward, was with me some of the time, and we located the Lone Pine Ranch, which is a very beautiful little valley which is crossed by the canal, a sagebrush mess of black loam. We think we can raise good crops of dry wheat there. We started a cabin upon it of nut pine logs and he is to use his right to secure me on part of the land, the dividing mark being a large lone pine tree which stands in the central part of the valley and the line runs east and west from this tree.

I have been so ill located that I have not found it convenient to write much, as we have had very scant room in our house the past season.

On November 22, 1894 at 1 p.m. Sarah gave birth to my 18th child, Irving Benjamin at Spring Glen, Utah.

In March I had C. H. Cook’s two teams and boys on the parts which can be plowed and scraped at Lone Pine Ranch [Gordon Creek].

In April, I had to decide whether to proceed at Helper or at Gorden Creek, having plenty of land at both places, and it was quite a question which to move to, but as Sarah had her land and place and Annie the other, I decided to take the Helper ranch first and it was also fenced but not, I thought, such good soil. Having moved to Helper, we lived in my log house for a time, but being too far from our garden, we rented a tent and started another house, lived in the tent one month, then moved into the one room of the new house, which was roofed.37 We had Brother J. K. Ingles living with us and working on the house. I let him some land and also J. Z. Bigelow, free.

Having no team, I employed C. H. Cook, and others who were owing me, and planted and grubbed some new lands and in June, 1894, I purchased a pair of large mares from Price Trading Co. giving note and mortgage. During the summer, we have made a good sized reservoir, built the two rooms we live in with a rocked cellar under one of them, dug 3 others, and kept out of debt nearly, also planted an acre of strawberries, upon which I scattered leaf mold, which is very plentiful under the cedars and pines. Our crops did not do very well, and we entered the winter quite destitute, having but little feed for the stock and ourselves.

We shelter our stock in a large cellar open at one end.

November 22 [1894] Sarah gave birth to my 18th child, Irving Benjamin.

The children started to Miss Parrott to school about December 3, 1894.

December 13 [1894] I am trying to run water through the canal, and today I transferred Brig. Hamilton’s stock in the Beaver Canal to Frank Warren. Our crops the past summer were not good and we are not well supplied with the necessaries, but it was owing to the newness of the soil, and the extra labor of building, which should be given the crop.

My taxes for 1894, were $35.40, which I have hard work to pay, besides advertizing $1.00, and I was forced to sell some property.

I was a little behind with my tithing, and went and paid it up, taking this means of raising the tax. Bishop Fullmer thinks I should have been more uneasy, but I have felt wholly to trust the Lord in the matter.

Sunday evening went to Price and stayed over night with Father Mead38 and Monday, December 17, we called upon the collector, D. W. Holdaway and had him put off our sale39 till after pay day, which he kindly did.

Monday evening December 17 [1894] Went to attend bishop’s court at 6:00 sharp, as per appointment, and after waiting for 1 1/2 hours and nobody coming at half past 7:00, I came home and the bishop soon came to hunt me and was much disturbed at my course. I told him I was so constituted that waiting at an appointment was a physical and mental torture, which I was very averse to enduring. He spoke of getting another counsellor, and made me think much during the night of resigning as I freely own that I have not the interest of Spring Glen at heart and consider it my consequent duty to resign. I have intended all along to do this as soon as the opportunity seemed ripe.

Brother Fullmer is a man I love and respect very highly, and last night after coming to my house and not finding me, he came down the track looking for me. The night was very dark and upon meeting me and knowing me, while I did not know him, he seized my horse by the halter and pretended to be beligerant. Thinking him to be a highwayman, I being wholly alarmed, sprang from my horse and attacked him. He then made as if to draw a weapon, and so I left him my horse and took a hasty retreat to safe quarters. When he spoke, I recognized him. It was one of the greatest alarms of my life, and I talked to him of the folly and danger of such a course, which he admitted.

Wednesday December 19 [1894] Sat in bishop’s court all day and till late at night trying to settle difficulty between J. K. Ingle and J. L. Rowley, who is drifting to apostasy. We have not yet succeeded. Brother C. H. Cook and I had a plain talk about our differences, and it seems that Brother Fullmer must have told Brother Cook, his half brother, of my private views, but we are well reconciled now.

There are many sick with fevers. We are just getting comfortably fixed in our house and surroundings. There is lots of snow the last 3 weeks. Old Bug, (cow) came in last Thursday.

December 30 [1894] Since the cold weather, I have been very dull and sleepy, and have done very little work, have built a scaffold for butchering, mounted the grind stone, attended chores, got wood for the family fires, and have many ward affairs to attend to.


January [1895] Attended meetings and reorganized the deacons. They seem to be in a fair way to succeed, the first time in the history of the ward, former organizations have not been prosperous. The Spring Glen Canal is threatened with litigation. It is all torn up and is disorganized, is in fact in a very bad fix. Fullmer is striving to diligently straighten it out.

January 7 [1895] Wrote to lawyer maybe to get legal advice about the ditch. Signed by William Miller, C. H. Cook, and myself.
Received pay for my cow, Bug, from Mr. Beardsley; $30.00. Killed the cow, Spot, for beef the day before Sunday last. Am going to try butchering and selling meat for a little season. Moved Mrs. Parsons from my house, wrote in my journal, and posted my books, and straightened up my desk and papers which have accumulated considerably. Practiced an hour on the organ, which is now here, having been at Kiems while waiting for our house room.

I sold Kiem a piece of land joining what he previously had to raise money for my taxes, $46.00. Paid $5.00 tithing. This was in the latter part of last month. My taxes for 1894 were $36.40. Bishop Fullmer returned the $5.00 tithing, saying I did not owe it.

Saturday January [1895] Went to mill in Huntington, buying wheat of Bishop Overson at 85 cents per cwt. The Huntington roller mill charging 154 per bushel for grinding graham. While at Huntington, I visited several families in the interest of colonization. There are several good and desirable families without homes who think of coming to look at my prospects at Prattville, west of Spring Glen, among them being Lenards and the relations of that family.

I spent the time pleasantly till Tuesday, the 15 and arrived at Spring Glen in time at attend Y.M.M.I.A. meeting.

Monday January [1895] During the past week I have been to Price and rearranged my debt to Price Trading Co. We found that they held notes secured by mortgage against us to the amount of 1800 dollars and upwards, most of which was contracted by building the Beaver Canal. Our real estate being down so low, I was much alarmed, especially when I found that all Annie’s land was liable on the debt, she having signed the notes. The mortgage is now bearing 10% per year, and matures in 6 months, and I have made a resolve to seek devine aid to square me with the world.

On Saturday it snowed much, and I moved my room from Spring Glen part way to Helper.40 The snow is now over 1 foot deep on the level.

Yesterday I attended Sabbath school. The bishopric is anxious over the coming election of Spring Glen Canal officers. Cook is trying to get Southworth’s stock to vote so we can wrench the government from the old crowd.

Tuesday January 22 [1895] It was the annual election of Spring Glen Canal. The people tried hard to vote Fitch, Stowell and Co. out of office, but they voted Southworth’s stock and beat the others; this raised such feeling that Frank Ewell struck M. Fitch under the eye and almost paralized him. After this they, Fitch and Co., nominated the other officers. I left the meeting and wrote a letter to Mr. Southworth to find if he really authorized them, and after I left the meeting, I learned that I was elected one of the board. I know not whether I qualify or not.

N. M. Peck moved my room from Spring Glen to Helper.
I am seeking to start Sabbath school here in Helper. My daughters Mary and Elizabeth, have worked out this winter some little, and Mary is now at the hotel.41 This is their first experience in that way.

Friday February I [1895] During the past week I have hardly done more than chore. Went with Ewell’s to their coal mine42 and encouraged them to open the road. Their is plenty of snow this season. It now lays 13 inches on the level. Yesterday I went to Castle Gate and got 2 little pigs from Mr. Cox. The first pigs we have tried to keep for years. We burn so much wood that it keeps us going to keep wood enough.

Thursday February 7 [1895] Today was fast day and it was observed in a way that was never witnessed in the ward before. There was a houseful, most of whom came fasting, and the main feature was the offering of prayer for the afflictd, and sick and such an outpouring of spirit as is seldom seen took place. I attended conference at Castle Dale on the 3rd and 4th. We had Apostle [Francis M.] Lyman with us and he taught us abundantly the good things of Zion and duties of the saints. Brothers Fullmer, Ewell, Bigelow, and others went and the stake was very fully represented. There is a great reformation all over Zion, and the people are keeping the word of wisdom and laws of God as ever before. We were taught how to properly observe the fast day, how to pray, how to act as secret sinners, how to get oil in our lamps, how to teach, and very many other things.

Friday February 8 [1895] Went to Price and got some oats at $1.25. Am out of feed and shall turn out and feed grain. The Helper valley is now dry and almost bare.

Thursday February 12 [1895] Last Sunday have been to meeting and Sunday school. Yesterday stayed home and wrote considerable.

Ester Jane is sick with scarlet fever, the first case of severe sickness which has been in our family in 14 years.

The weather is very severe again and outdoors work is about suspended. Ether is ailing with a lame back. He has been an invalid for 11 years. and yet has never felt pain in his back till now. His disease is in the spine.

My daughter Ester Jane died suddenly at 10 o’clock this evening of scarlet fever.43 She was aged 20 months and some days. We held the funeral services in our large room, were very kindly assisted by the people of the ward in this trouble.

Thursday February 14 [1895] We buried her in sight of our south window on a sloping hill, on our own land, and under the canal, where there is room for a cemetery.44

I attended rehearsal for a play tonight, my daughter Elizabeth, being in it.

We have been talking up the coal business of late in the ward. We are subject to heavy extortion by Railroad Co., and so learning that the Sow Belly Canon was vacant, I lost no time, but took my last money and sent Brothers J. Y. Bigelow and W. W. Ewell in to file on some claims.45

Friday February 15 [1895] I am very stupid and tired all the time, and the weather is so ugly that I do but little except to keep fires and keep warm.

We draw our wood from the hillside on a sledge, and go where we could not with a wagon.
Sister Mead is kindly staying with us during our sickness and mourning.

Wednesday February 27 [1895] The spring has broken early, and especially in the Helper valley. I commenced plowing on the 25th, and our bees are flying out. We feed a little oats and the stock have to rustle for roughness.

Yesterday Sister Hayhock was taken very ill, and Brother Fullmer and myself went and administered to her; also my son Parley, was healed by the ordinance last Sunday, being prostrate with a burning fever.

There are many cases of sickness around.

My mare, Mand, is lame in the left front leg.

Monday March 4 [1895] During the past week I have hauled some mold from the cedar and pine trees and spread over over our garden spot. Yesterday we drove down to the Glens to meeting and Sunday school and Nephi fell and threw his left arm out at the elbow. I easily pulled it into place and bound it up. The nights are very cold and freeze solid, but by afternoon, we can plow. I got some few seeds from J. H. Harvath. We have water in our reservoir from the snow. That reservoir promises to be a great blessing to us.

Monday March 11 [1895] Rose very early on purpose to write up my accounts and diary.

The big canal is now dry enough to be cleaned and it will likely be done about a week from now. During the past week I have had to administer to the sick more than usual. Sarah’s family has been sick. We thought Mosiah had diphtheria and prayed for them all in fast meeting. They seem better mostly now. We are plowing our gardens and fields, all my children are leaving school. We are living on meager diet: brown bread, sugar, a little milk, vegetables, and just what comes to hand.

Yesterday we drove down to Spring Glen and meeting, taking mince pie for lunch, and staying till dark. In the evening, I sat in court (bishops) and heard the difficulty between William Miller and William H. Babcock.

Tuesday March 12 [1895] Plowed on the stony land in the middle field, breaking it up for the first time.

Last night was spent at Brother Fullmer’s, whose wife was confined. We have a battle on now between the doctors and [non] doctors. Many women and families think they must have a doctor, and others get the assistance of the midwife and priesthood.

I see that there is a great need of being in strict harmony and communion with the ward authorities if people would be blessed in time of need and if all is right with a man and his house. The blessing of heaven is not difficult to bring down upon him; but otherwise, it seems as if the heavens are shut and nothing can be had in a man’s favor.

Wednesday March 13 [1895] Finished plowing the triangle. Stormy and cold.

Thursday March 14 [1895] Hauled a load of potatoes to Castle Gate for William Powell.

On March 29, 1895, my son Samuel, aged 6 years died.46

The weather has been very cold by spells, and on the days of conference, April 4, 5, and 6th, it was very excessively cold and windy. We have just been working on the canal and 10 men and some teams have been 3 days and have made an excellent ditch down to here. I was elected time keeper, and we are all in a jangle with the ditch company.

My little daughter, Belle, is sick with fever and sore throat, and my family have never been so sick before as the last few weeks.

Friday April 12 [1895] The spring is early, hills covered with flowers, early ones, and the horses and cows do very well out on the grass. I have planted 18 apple trees, 30 imported peach trees, and many gooseberries, and currants to supplement the strawberry interest. Yesterday I have just watered my strawberries the first time and had to use sharp practice to get much water, owing to the operations of the Western, who are preparing to finally get out of our canal. They are planting many poplar shade trees and beautifying their place.

Tuesday May [1895] We are just in the middle of potato planting, and in spite of the fact that our plowing was mostly done last night fall, we are having very hard work to get everything planted in due season.

Helper is a baseball center. The towns above and below come here to play match games on Sundays. and my children are in some danger of breaking the Sabbath.

Yesterday was Monday and we went to primary at Spring Glen. We are harassed much with debt and are hoping to be able to sell some land soon.

August 6 [1895] Annie gave birth to my 19th child, Ammon Houston Pratt, at Helper.


Helper Sunday April 16 [1899] Four years ago I began a road into Scrabble Canon for the purpose of opening a coal mine.47 J. Bigelow and Wm. Ewell, my brothers in law, were interested in it and almost as a natural sequence, Frank and L. H. Ewell became partners. We proceeded with our work until we had a road made, our main purpose being to get coal for our own fires, but to our surprise the Castle Gate mine had never tried to interrupt our trade at Helper, and we have done very well at selling coal.

Bro. Bigelow and Wm. Ewell have not been at all active and have not asserted any right to the mine, but Frank and L. H. Ewell had an interest and kept up operations till the summer of 1897, when I bought L. H. Ewell for $50.00. Frank continued through the following winter when I got his interest for $20.00. I had meantime constructed good road and provided tools and in fact was the factor in the property. During the winter of 1897-1898, I made a good living with the mine, though Frank was greatly in my way. He being very poor, I dug for him and he got quite a share of the trade. Sarah gave birth to my 20th child, Beryl Patience, on June 12, 1897.48

I had hay to last till nearly March and then made the horses tough it out. I thus managed to buy a new wagon and pay considerable on my debts.

In the spring of 1898, the Railroad Company commenced building homes at Helper and being sole owner of the mine, I went and asked Mr. Welby if I could supply the company houses. He replied, “That’s all right, go ahead.” So I had a great run of coal business, and on the strength of it sent my children to Provo Academy and one daughter Helen Grace for the whole school year. I had hay enough to last till March again. The crop was short owing to the lack of water. The canal contained water in 1899 till Jan 1st, the latest it was ever in, and prospect for present year is very flattering.

I went to Provo to visit my family there twice.

Annie is ailing and weak for the last month. Grace is a very sweet singer and accompanies with organ, and the evenings are often enlivened by our concerts. Altogether, I will say that I never was as happy and free from care as during this summer. We have very few flies here, no mosquitoes or other evening or night pests and mine work is pleasant and light, so we accomplish much improvement work at home.

Monday, September 4 [1899] During the past two weeks, I have attended two funerals, the first was Dewey Thompson and the last H. C. Thompson. He is my wife Annie’s sister’s Husband, and has never been the friend I would have liked, but tried latterly to do about right. They were father and son, and were buried in Price, which took us there twice. Old Sister Mead is surrounded with widowed daughters.

I have succeeded very well with my road work lately, and have a good road for my coal job.

We are fasting and praying now for means to attend academy in Castle Dale. I have been very busy this summer making good road to the mine and improving a ranch which lays in the canon leading mine and which I bought of Harry Miller.49 There is at the upper end a living, spring and fine reservoir site, and I have the ditch well under way.

We moved here in a hut which Mr. Miller had made in the first days of June (1899) and repainted the old fence and have a garden, some lucerne seed, etc.

Owing to the spirit of fault finding and rebellion in my family, I made over the Helper lands to Sarah and we are living apart. Her people and others in the ward are waging a bitter opposition against me and I am glad to come to this peaceful and pleasant retreat.

Sarah gave birth to my 21st child, Aurelia Hope, on June 6, 1899.

We just tried to borrow 15 dollars off Mead, but could not. We want to buy some furniture to go to Castle Dale with. (off Mr. Dynch)

Tuesday, September 5 [1899] We have made part of a ditch this summer to lead our spring into the reservoir site, and today we worked on the ditch. We just finished the side bank work and are now to make the cut across a flat 200 ft long and 4 feet deep.

Tuesday, September 5 [1899] Ether went to hunt the pony on a stray mare. She got away from him at Gravel Springs and he could only make a fire and camp. We grew alarmed about him and about 10 o’clock the horses came home and we fed them grain and Joe and Grace took them and went and found him getting home about 1 or 2 o’clock.

Wednesday September 6 [1899] Hauled coal to Price, to Hoffman on debt $4.50, traded horses with Mr. Brinkerhoof of Huntington, Sarah went to Price to record her deed and had her team killed by trains on the way. Annie visited the sick in Spring Glen. I camped in Spring Glen with my coal on my way to Price and the bishopric and teachers were laboring till a late hour to pacify Mr. H. Savage.

Brother Fullmer informed me that his resignation has been accepted by the stake authorities, this will release me from my position as 2nd counselor.

Thursday, September 7 [1899] We have worked on our spring ditch today and a large rock was overcome very easily by a blast of 4 sticks of powder, also we found by careful survey that the work will be very light and we shall save several days labor.

Friday, September 8 [1899] Worked on spring ditch.

Saturday, September 9 [1899] Hauled coal to Mr. M. W. Conners, paid $3.00. We improved the road a little each trip. Made the bridge no. 2 near our field.

Sunday, September 10 [1899] Went to Sunday school and sacrament meeting. Bro. Allen Cox from Castle Gate was at meeting as home missionary. I spoke afterwards, emphasizing the law of tithing and consecration of surplus, stating that I myself have land and water sufficient for 12 families, and it was on hand, also that the people of the ward who are large land holders should do likewise. We had a goodly portion of the Holy Spirit of the Lord.

Monday, September 11 [1899] Hauled coal to hut, working road made us late, loaded heavy.

Tuesday, September 12 [1899] Hauled coal to Reid’s $2.00 and Glazer $2.00. Took up Glazers in merchandise. Went to mine and got another load and got in early. The boys, Ether, Joe, and Thoni camping at mine and had load nicely dug.

Wednesday, September 13 [1899] Coal hauling good, hauled $5.00 worth per day. Learned of Sarah’s deed being wrong and agreed with Mr. Hoffman to make a new one. My trips are very easy owing to the boys staying at the mine.

Thursday, September 14 [1899] Hauled coal to Mrs. Cummings for a fine rocking chair and to Mrs. Lemmion on a heater which is now paid for. She had bought an order for Mr. Lynch. Weather which has been very hot has moderated. John Bryner50 came up my road and got logs today, which was very cheeky. I asked the boys if they were lonesome. They replied no and stayed over another night.

Friday, September 15 [1899] Being up to our orders, we sent Ether up with team, and I stayed home and worked on ditch. Boys got home with coal at 2:30. Weather very chilly and threatening. Our tomatoes are ripening very nicely, the result of praying.

Saturday, September 16 [1899] I was taked very sick in the night through eating apples, and fasted all day and was nearly well by night. Annie is getting stronger. She is probably at the change at this time, and it is very fortunate for us that we are so situated that our cares are now very light and we can rest and recover our strength after so many years of wearing toil.

We are uncertain at present whether to go to Castle Dale or Salt Lake City to school, and are fasting this morning for divine guidance. Our children are in very dangerous society here at Helper and Spring Glen. Yesterday in Sabbath meeting Bishop Fullmer was released and Brother Thomas Rhoades sustained as P. E. of the ward.51 I am thus released and Prest. Miller thanked me for my service and exhonerated me from further duty at that ward.

Saturday September 16 [1899] While I was sick, the boys were at work upon the spring ditch.

Tuesday September 19 [1899] We have made very satisfactory progress upon our ditch and run the water through the first section today as far as the head of big cut and almost through it. Ether took Ma down to Helper this evening. She will stay at Mary’s52 and sew tomorrow at Sarah’s.

We have decided to go to Salt Lake to school. We think the district schools and the mutuals will be best for the children.

Wednesday September 20 [1899] Today we carried the water as far as the big cut and headed on down to the reservoir and we find everything so very satisfactory and it seems as if special providence had prearranged the ground and route, although at first sight it appeared a formidable undertaking. Last thing this evening when twilight had fallen, we had a concert, singing from gospel hymns. Grace is so adept at the organ and our voices blend so well.

Thursday September 21 [1899] Payday we all worked on spring ditch and it is very pleasant and gratifying to see how it went. Went to Helper in the evening. Took supper at my daughter’s.

Friday September 22 [1899] Took the boys to the mine, as we have a small rush on coal.

Saturday September 23 [1889] Joe had to ride to Gordon Creek for fuse before we could shoot down coal. We went to Gravel Spring for pony. I am earnestly seeking for moral strength these days.

Sunday September 24 [1899] Did not attend services. Felt it to be impossible to go to Spring Glen at present to worship.

Monday September 25 [1899] Went to mine and having to dig my load and square the right hand corner, I was a trifle late. We found ourselves without sugar or meat and the boys must live on bread, potatoes, and butter till tomorrow. I delivered the last shovel of coal just at dark to Griffins and Smith. Annie stays at Mary’s tonight. I bought cheese 404, butter 254, grapes 104. Paid Grace $1.50 yesterday. Her Ma got her a dress. Annie went to Sarah’s and asked her for her smallest children, but she refused. She gave her a great lecture upon duty and emphasized the necessity of her holding sacred my character. Sarah is to get $60.00 in a few days for her horses which were killed. Annie made her a standing offer to take one or both of her youngest children any time.53 Also, she promised to give her the deed soon, and Sarah stated that that was all she desired of us.

Tuesday September 26 [1899] We hauled coal to the Arab’s54 house, $1.70. Weather excessively hot. We paid Vannatti55 for lease ending and up to September 30, 1900. We gave Aunt Em some coal as we were passing. Brought Annie up in evening. Bought rice 754, sugar $1.00.

Wednesday September 27 [1899] We today got the water over the 2nd bridge. It all works so nicely and is very satisfactory. Joe worked the first work on the reservoir in afternoon and went after the News in evening. Received letter from S. F. Myers about Gordon Creek land.

Thursday September 28 [1899] Answered Mr. Myers’ letter stating that I would take $700.00 for the Gordon Creek Ranch which included Brother Fullmer’s place.
Also wrote to Pres. R. G. Miller stating that we desired to go to Conference and my family was prepared for special blessings.

Went to Helper and collected enough to pay tithing.

I went to Brother Thomas Rhoades and paid over the tiths and offerings and bought melons and tomatoes and came and feasted and rejoiced at the completion of Spring Ditch through the difficult sections and the forward state of the reservoir; also felt of the coal situation and discovered that I can commence operating the mine in earnest now.

Friday September 29 [1899] Went for coal for Roony’s residence $5.00. Had to dig it mostly as the boys are not competent yet. Bought bacon 504.

Saturday September 30 [1899] Coal to No. 13, $2.50, and to Owens $2.50. Dug it and all came down. Annie went with me and in burning rubbish, set the cabin afire, but we succeeded in putting it out without much damage. The county is dried up.

Sunday October 1 [1899] Rested at home all day. Went to Helper in evening. We had fasted and prayed it being fast day, and we asked the Lord to speedily deliver us from this unholy land of gentiles and apostates, and in the evening, at Helper, Mr. John Edwards spoke to me about trading me a home and farm in and near Salt Lake City for my possessions.

Monday October 2 [1899] Received call to the temple with my family. We all worked on ditch and reservoir. I went to Helper in afternoon and rustled orders to help us prepare for conference. I received all I can fill. Weather is now turned quite cool; run in debt for hat, shoes, etc. $6.05 at Glazer; to be paid November pay day, also to Litizetti $8.00.

Tuesday October 3 [1899] Coal to baker $4.50, 1 1/2 ton. Joe Vasher came to see me about the Gordon Creek land in the morning and appointed Thursday, 5th to meet again at Helper. Joe and Thoni stay at mine.

Bought tomatoes of Brother Rhoades to be paid in coal at mine 604. Received oats from Price Trading Co. $2.80 and also $2.52 for last week.

Wednesday October 4 [1899] Coal to Reid’s $2.50. They paid $2.00

Thursday October 5 [1899] Coal to barber $3.00. Got haircut 504.
Went to conference in evening with Annie and Ammon. Stayed at Albany $1.00.

Thursday October 12 [1899] I arrived home from conference and found the boys had made the above record, which I consider exceeding creditable.

I enjoyed the trip to conference exceedingly. Annie and Sarah were both there and we received our blessings in the house of the Lord as will cheer our hearts through all the journey of life. We spent but vey little money, having fallen among friends who took excellent care of us. Mathoni and Sister Russell were very kind.

Annie stays in Salt Lake with a view of doing temple work. We will have the children go in as circumstances will permit.

Thursday October 19 [1899] Joe went to Spring Glen after the team which left us. I spent the day fixing wagon, harness, and props being a little indisposed.

Saturday October 21 [1899] My team is a fraud and is not what Mr. Tryon represented it to be.

Sunday October 22 [1899] Pay day. Went and stayed over night Saturday night at Brother Fullmer’s in order to post the ward records. Worked at that today. Brother Fullmer assisting.

Sunday October 22 [1899] Had excellent prosperity the past week, having delivered 10 1/2 tons of coal with my team and 1 ton for William Eldredge.

My business is now swelled beyond my capacity and I am hiring Brother Eldridge to run the coal team. He is to haul at $4.00 per trip, a train consisting of my team and wagon and his.

Today I was assisting him to fit up, but at noon I felt admonished to quit and observe the Sabbath and repent and pray for forgiveness.

I tendered my resignation as chorrister in Spring Glen Sunday school today, and it was accepted with thanks in sacrament meet.

Yesterday I paid and took up my note to Con. Imp. Co. which had been due for years. I paid int. in full.

Friday November 10 [1899] During past week I have hauled $37.00 of coal, paid $17.00 debts, $2.50 donations. Stayed overnight with Sister Eldredge who was severely scalded, visited Sister Perkins, who is sick, went to Castle Gate for ammunition.

Discovered how to use a bar for prying off coal, and how to make effectual crank for machine; also how to undermine. It seems like fun almost.

Tuesday December 4 [1899] We have had the most delightful fall. The ground was first wet with plentiful fall rains, and then such warm and splendid weather. I interpret this as a blessing to the people for their response in paying tithing.

My greatest comfort these times is in keeping Annie at work in the temple.

We are having good prosperity, but encounter some little opposition in our coal trade from people who are willing to haul very cheap and by people who hate me for the gospels sake.

We are not very good church attenders these days, it being so far, and us being so unkempt, but we have the church publications and keep informed of the movements of men and nations.

November 3 [1900] The above was the last entry Teancum Pratt made. He was killed by coal falling on him while working in the mine at Winter Quarters, Utah on September 8, 1900. [This explanatory note written by Teancum Pratt’s son, Joseph.]

The following two entries, made by Teancum Pratt after the December 4, 1899, entry above, were located on another page of the diary and were probably not noticed by his son Joseph prior to his November 3 insertion.

December 20 [1899] Annie and the baby Ammon came to the mine from Salt Lake City and stayed at the mine awhile, and on the 22nd, Ammon got his leg badly burned by falling in the fireplace. On the last day of December, Annie went back to Salt Lake to work in the temple and Aunt Emily came to live with her awhile to see if it would improve her health and about 2 weeks after I went to Salt Lake to visit my family. Ether was working in the temple also and when the temple was closed on account of small pox, they moved back to Helper on about the 18th of January.

January 19 [1900] Both my families moved up to our new ranch on Gordon Creek and started to make fence, plow, plant alfalfa. After we cleaned the Gordon Creek ditch and the Beaver ditch and planted the potatoes. Nephi and Joseph left home to make some money, but Joseph came back about the 8th of August. We were just getting ready to go to Scofield.

The following excerpt from Annie Pratt’s diary explains in more detail the circumstances of Teancum’s death.

So Teancum thought it would be best to go to Scofield and work in the mines for the winter so we could go on the farm in the spring.56 But the Lord willed it other wise. He had only been in the mine 3 weeks when my husband, while working in the mine shoveling coal in the cars, the side of his room fell in and crushed him against the car and killed him instantly on the 8th of September, about 3 o’clock p.m.

Oh, will I ever forget that awful day. Joe was working with him. He came home to tell me. I knew that something awful had happened soon as I saw him. He was buried on September 10, on Monday, about 4 o’clock. His brothers Nephi, Maroni, Mathoni, and wives attended the funeral. He was buried at Scofield.

The people of Scofield were very kind to us in our trouble. Mrs. Farish57 sent word to us to come and stay to her house until after the funeral. We were camped out and it was raining and we were in very poor circumstances and they raised a subscription for us $250.00. We paid the tithing on it and the Lord has blessed us with means ever since, and I know he will still continue to do so.

On March 19, 1901, Sarah gave birth to Teancum’s twenty-second child at Scofield and named him Orson Aaron. She left Scofield and bought a place in Provo. Later she married Louis Taussig. She died on March 2, 1926, and was buried in Englewood Cemetery in Los Angeles, California.

Annie lived in Salt Lake City and died there on January 18, 1937.58 She was buried in the Salt Lake City Cemetery.


* Mrs. Romano, a teacher at Sally Mauro Elementary School in Helper, received the Society’s Teacher Award at the 1977 Annual Meeting. She wishes to give special acknowledgment to Mary Pratt Barker for her assistance in the preparation of this article. Autobiographical material on Teancum Pratt exists in several forms and versions. The editor has made use of those available to her.
1 Pratt (1807-57) was born in New York. He was ordained an apostle by Joseph Smith, Jr., in 1835.
2 Prattville was located four miles northeast of Richfield between Venice and Glenwood in Sevier County.
3 Kingston is five miles southeast of Junction in Piute County.
4 Spring Lake is between Santaquin and Payson in Utah County.
5 Pratt evidently wrote this part of the journal from notes after Helper was named.
6 Jane Babcock was Harry Babcock’s wife; they lived in Spring Glen. Mary Ewell, wife of Lorenzo Ewell, was Sarah Pratt’s sister-in-law.
7 Idona Mead was Annie Pratt’s sister.
8 Tucker was called Clear Creek at this time. The name was changed to Tucker because of the other town of Clear Creek near Scofield.
9 Frank and Lorenzo Ewell, Sarah Pratt’s brothers, hauled supplies for the railroad to Colton and Clear Creek (Tucker).
10 First child born in Helper.
11 Jens Hansen was the grandfather of Lorene Hansen Fossat, Dick Hansen of Helper, and Keith Hansen of Spring Glen.
12 E. Perkins, Annie Pratt’s sister, lived up Gordon Creek.
13 The school was held in Sarah’s home at Spring Glen.
14 Henry Babcock was a Spring Glen resident.
15 Joseph was a son of Jens Hansen.
16 The homestead was in the E 1/2 of NE 1/4 of Sec 24 T13S R9E.
17 Sarah’s father’s two-story house in Spring Glen, also the first church.
18 Teancum was wanted for unlawful cohabitation under the Edmunds Act.
19 The town of Ferron, Emery County, was named for surveyor Augustus Ferron.
20 Sarah was in Spring Glen and Annie in Helper.
21 Parley was twelve years old at this time.
22 The territorial penitentiary was located in Salt Lake City on the site of present-day Sugarhouse Park.
23 Teancum had surface rights to 221 acres in Sec 19 T13S R10E.
24 See maps for location of railroad buildings and tracks in relation to Pratt’s holdings. In the entry for February 20, 1883, Teancum told of settling with the railroad. This was for a right of way across his land. In 1890 the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad was in the process of changing its trackage to broad gauge. Evidently, Pratt had not proved up on his desert entry.
25 Edwin D. Fullmer was bishop of the Spring Glen ward; Cook was his half-brother.
26 This gully ran down Helper Canyon to the Price River.
27 Oak Spring bench was near Coal City.
28 This store was in Spring Glen.
29 Haycock Lane in Spring Glen was named for him. He is buried in Haycock Cemetery.
30 John Bigelow, the husband of Sarah Pratt’s sister Mary Ewell, was the first postmaster in Spring Glen.
31 Franklin Ewell was married to Kate Thompson, and Permitt Ewell, youngest brother of Sarah Pratt, to Ethel Savage. The mother of John Haycock, Sr., was a Bellow.
32 Tom Fitch was the first president of the town of Helper.
33 Ewell Hall in Spring Glen, later the site of the old Clerico farm and presently the property of Bill Sherman.
34 Pratt was living alone in Spring Glen.
35 William Ewell was another brother of Sarah Pratt.
36 Rowley owned charcoal kilns at Spring Glen.
37 This house was on the east side of Helper near the Pratt Memorial.
38 Meads lived in east Price. Orlando Mead, Lydia Mead, George Mead, Idona Mead Fullmer, Heber and Dewey Thompson, and Louise Mead Nelson’s children are buried in the Mead plot in the Petersen Cemetery in east Price.
39 A tax sale.
40 This was the one-room Spring Glen house where Pratt lived alone.
41 Probably the railroad hotel in Helper.
42 Storrs Mine in Spring Canyon.
43 Annie’s child, born May 2, 1893, and Teancum’s seventeenth offspring.
44 This was at the site of the present Teancum Pratt Memorial.
45 Where the town of Spring Canyon was located.
46 Sarah’s son and Teancum’s fourteenth child, Samuel died of bronchitis and was buried at the site of the Teancum Pratt Memorial.
47 Scrabble Canyon Mine, formerly owned by the Diamanti family and presently owned by Price River Coal Company
48 At the time of publication, Beryl Patience Pratt Ireland, a California resident, is the only living child of Teancum Pratt.
49 See Carbon County map.
50 John was a brother of Jim and Enoch Bryner of Helper.
51 The new presiding elder of the ward, Thomas Rhoades, was a brother of Caleb Rhoades. Tom bought out Jens Hansen in northwest Helper where the Carrea, Borla, Lange, Sillitoe, and Limone farms were located.
52 Mary Pratt, wife of Ed Little, lived in Helper.
53 Sarah’s two youngest children were Beryl, age two, and Aurelia, age one.
54 The reference is to Judge Ed Sheya’s father of Lebanese descent who had property north of the Pratt Memorial.
55 Clifford VanNatta’s father.
56 Lone Pine Ranch on Gordon Creek.
57 Martin Farish’s grandmother.
58 Annie’s sisters were Kiziah Dimick (Kiz near Sunnyside was named for her), the grandmother of Avon and Kenneth Dimick of Helper; Louise Nelson who lived at Thistle; and Amanda Checkets, Zina Connors, Idona Fullmer, and Emily Montgomery.

Return to histories of Teancum Pratt