Death of M.W. Pratt

Ogden, June 29—Moroni W. Pratt, aged 58 years, son of Parley P. Pratt, died shortly before noon on Wednesday at the L.D.S. hospital at Salt Lake of peritonitis resulting from appendicitis. Mr. Pratt, whose home was at Preston, Ida., where he as a member of the Oneida stake high council, went to Salt Lake on Tuesday afternoon to undergo an operation but he became so weak that it was impossible to render further medical assistance. He leaves a wife and several children at Preston. He was a half-brother of Bishop W.O. Ridges of the Ogden Ninth ward. The body was shipped to the Larkin undertaking establishment of this city where it was prepared for burial. The remains on Friday morning will be shipped to Preston, Ida., where services will be held at the tabernacle on Friday afternoon at 2 o’clock.

[Deseret News, June 29, 1911, 3]

[transcribed and proofread by David Grow, Jan. 2006]


Preston, Ida.

Funeral Service For Moroni W. Pratt

Preston, Idaho, July 1—Funeral services were held today over the remains of Elder Moroni W. Pratt, who died at the L.D.S. hospital in Salt Lake Wednesday morning of appendicitis. Elder Pratt has been a very active worker for the Church in the stake, having been bishop of the Fairview ward for 16 years and high councilor for eight years. When he died he was a member of the stake board of education, president of the high priests’ quorum, and a member of the high council. He is a son of Parley P. Pratt, who was martyred for the gospel. The speakers at the funeral were Bishop Lorenzo Johnson, Dr. Allen R. Catler; James R. McNeil, Geo. C. Parkinson, Bishop Edwin Bodily, Patriarch George Larkin of Ogden, and President Jos. S. Geddes. Prof. John Johnson of the academy read resolutions to the bereaved family from the stake presidency, high council, and the high priests’ quorum. He was aged 58 years.

[Deseret News, July 3, 1911, 6]

[transcribed and proofread by David Grow, Jan. 2006]


Return to histories of Moroni W. Pratt