Entries from the Journal History of the Church


Salt Lake City
March 17, 1870

Bro. Cannon:–On Thursday last I left this city, in company with Bishop W.W. Cluff, on a tour through Summit County. On Saturday a meeting was held at Wanship for the organization of “The Upper Weber Co-operative Lumber Co.,” with a capital stock of $10,000, in shares of $5 each.

On Sunday morning the meetinghouse was well filled, notwithstanding the very severe wind and snow storm which had been raging for over twenty-four hours. The meeting was addressed by Elder E. Eldredge and myself, and while the elements were in wild commotion without, we passed off a couple of pleasant, and I trust profitable, hours within. At the close of the meeting, Elders Cluff, Eldredge and myself, facing the storm in an open wagon, proceeded to Hoytaville, where the people were assembled awaiting our arrival.

After Sacrament, Bishop Cluff and myself occupied about forty minutes each, enjoying a liberal flow of the good spirit, my text being the 6th Lecture on Faith, Book of Doctrine and Covenants.

Immediately after meeting, we proceeded to Coalville, where, in the evening, I addressed a large audience for an hour and twenty minutes, dwelling on several subjects connected with the duties of the Saints, but more particularly on the gifts of the spirit and the blessings derived by us from the gospel, and was followed by a brief testimony from Elder Alma L. Smith.

On Monday, in company with Elders J. Allan and E. Eldredge, I visited Henneferville, held meeting in the evening and had an excellent time.

This little branch has undergone a process of cleansing since I last visited it, one year ago. Then I preached a fervent discourse on the Word of Wisdom and honesty; but my words seemed to rebound like echoes from the crumbling sand-stones which rear their heads in the surrounding hills, and before the congregation had dispersed, several of my attentive (?) hearers drew forth their trusty old clay-pipes, charged them with tobacco, lighted them, and behind their curling smoke steamed out of the meeting-house with tan air of nonchalance that would have done credit to a nobler deed. Now, strict attention was paid and every word seemed to be absorbed by the listeners, and after meeting those friendly greetings, the hearty “welcome” and the kindly “good-bye,” so dear to friends and brethren, were freely interchanged.

Next day, Brothers Cluff, Eldredge, Allred and myself visited Croyden and held meeting, several coming from Henneferville and from some distance around. The house was filled, and we had an excellent meeting. This is a very healthy place, only three deaths having occurred in about eight years.

After this meeting, in company with Brothers Hopkins, Edwards and Bishop Richins, I started down the canyon for Morgan City, in a sleigh, to fill an appointment at seven o’clock in the evening. The snow had drifted badly in places and the road was unbroken. We had one break-down (running against a stump) and two upsets in the snow, on the way down, occasioning many sallies of good humor and considerable mirth. We reached Morgan an hour after our appointment and found a large congregation assembled who were being addressed by Bishop W.G. Smith. I followed him at some length and enjoyed excellent freedom. A good spirit and feeling prevailed. I felt to bear an earnest and fervent testimony of the wisdom and power of God manifested in the deliverance of the Saints from bondage and oppression, and the spirit of God bore record in our hearts.

The brethren and Saints treated me very kindly throughout. I cannot particularize, but I pray for God’s blessing to rest abundantly upon them, that they may continue to hold fast to the “iron rod,” and that the testimony of Jesus and the faith of the holy gospel may continue to abide in them, increasing forever.

Your brother, etc.,
Joseph F. Smith

[Journal History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Mar. 17, 1870, 1]
[Deseret News, Mar. 18, 1870]

[transcribed and proofread by David Grow, May 2006]


Tuesday, February 24:

The sum of $151 was appropriated in favor of Elnathan Eldredge, to satisfy an old claim against the Church. He represented that on his way home from his mission in 186? He assisted in the general emigration of that year, and that at St. Joseph Missouri, he used the amount of this appropriate for emigration purposes and rendered no bill for the same; that he would not do so now were it not that he needed the means. The Presidency accepted Brother Eldredge’s statement and reimbursed him.

[Journal History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Feb. 24, 1903, 3]

[transcribed and proofread by David Grow, May 2006]


Return to histories of Elnathan Eldredge