The Governor Nominates

His Excellency the Governor has sent a communication to the Legislative Council notifying it that, by virtue of the authority in him vested by law, he has nominated Arthur Pratt to be Auditor of Public Accounts; Bolivar Roberts to be Treasurer, and Parley L. Williams to be Territorial Superintendent of Public Schools. Whether or not the august body to whom this important communication is addressed will concur, time will determine.

[Journal History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Jan. 21, 1886, 3]
[Deseret News, Jan. 21, 1886]


A New Deputy

Arthur Pratt has resigned his position as bookkeeper at McCormick & Co.’s bank, and pending the weary wait between this time and the decision of the Auditor-Treasurer suit in the Supreme Court, he will devote his energies to aiding Marshal Dyer in running down offending Mormons. The average deputy’s salary is understood not to be an extremely fat thing, so that to induce Mr. Pratt to leave as good a position as he had, Marshal Dyer must have offered something tempting. Mr. Pratt’s previous experience in that line, and more than all, his wide acquaintance among the people, constitute his value in the Marshal’s eyes.

[Journal History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Oct. 16, 1886, 3]
[Salt Lake Herald, October 16, 1886]

[transcribed and proofread by David Grow, Apr. 2006]


A New Warden

Yesterday Marshal Dyer dismissed O.S.L. Brown, who has been warden of the Utah penitentiary for over a year, from his service, and placed Deputy Marshal Pratt in charge of the Bastile as Warden. Mr. Brown’s conduct and his treatment of prisoners for some time has not given general satisfaction, but the specific act for which he was discharged was committed January 13. On that day Peter Miller, who is in for grand larceny, had some trouble with a man named Olsen about a piece of bad meat that was in the food. Olsen’s arbitrary manner enraged Miller, who struck him a sharp blow. This was reported to Warden Brown, who peremptorily ordered that Miller be put in the sweat box.

The night was bitterly cold, the thermometer at the penitentiary going down to about 12 degrees below zero, but Miller’s protestations and pleadings to be released were unheeded, and he was kept in the box 36 hours. During this time he suffered intensely, and as the cell became colder, he tore some of his clothing into strips and wrapped his feet to keep them from freezing but without avail. When he was taken out and it was realized what had been done, he was placed under the surgeon’s care. It was then seen that his feet were so badly frozen that it seemed probable they would have to be amputated in order to save his life. He has since been receiving medical attention, and is now on the road to recovery. We believe that the appointment of Mr. Pratt will be satisfactory all round.

[Journal History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Jan. 30, 1888, 4]
[Deseret News, Jan. 31, 1888]

[transcribed and proofread by David Grow, Apr. 2006]


Return to histories of Arthur Pratt